Below is information about the "Bordertown" community on LiveJournal. To join this community, click here. You may leave the community at any time.
- the fantasy land between the human world and the Realm Of Faerie -
|About:||The year is 2046, and technology has progressed swiftly in the human world. Cell phones come in the size of a chip, inserted underneath your ear. Computers now fit in the palm of your hand, complete with a voice-activated keyboard. Yet in this fast-moving but mundane world, a few select humans find themselves wanting more, whispering amongst themselves rumours about a place entirely magical and different from the world of humans, populated by a different race.|
As a matter of fact, the rumours are true. On the other end of the spectrum of existence lies the Realm Of Faerie, the complete opposite of the busy, bustling human world. Instead of people, beautiful, ageless Elves grace the Realm, and magic dominates the way things work, leaving no room for technology.
Bordertown is the place where the human world and the world of Elves meet... but not just any kind of Elves. These are hard-rocking, magic-flinging, motorcycle-riding elves who aren't entirely thrilled to be back in contact with lowly humans. Nevertheless, certain types of both elf and human are drawn to Bordertown, a place where magic and science co-exist, and where neither works quite the way it's supposed to. Not everyone can find Bordertown, but those who do find it discover that it's a place where anything can happen, and where they can be anything they want to be.
In Bordertown, magic works, sometimes. Technology works, sometimes. Any vaguely ritualistic activity, like cooking, has predictable results, sometimes. People behave the way you'd expect, sometimes. In short, nothing is predictable. As a result, there are frequent cultural clashes between elves and humans, or the small group of folk trying to forge a new synthetic culture from both.
Most of the Realm remains protected from curious humans by the Border, which supposedly no human can cross, but Elves enter the human world
with relative ease. Most of the elves are not exactly forthcoming with their reasons for leaving the Realm, which any and all swear is a glittering and glorious place full of wonders too good for humans. However, it appears that most leave for fairly mundane reasons -- a chance to walk on the wild side, to see how the other species lives, to listen to rock and roll. Some leave because they've been exiled, and up until now Faerie had nowhere to put their malcontents. From a human perspective, the close proximity of the Realm to Bordertown and its environs results in some magical spill-over.
The elves are of Celtic mold -- taller on average than humans, ageless, reserved among outsiders, and possessing really bad attitudes. These elves refer to themselves as Truebloods, and many elves consider humans to be a few more notches down the social and evolutionary ladder than any self-respecting sentient being should be. This, of course, does not sit well with most humans. As it plays out in Bordertown, human teens, the younger elves, and halflings have formed species-based gangs, each with their own turf. This provides the backdrop for several culture clashes in Borderland.
This RPG is heavily inspired by the 'Borderland' fantasy series by Terri Windling. For more information about the books, please scroll down.
If you are interested in joining this roleplaying game, we invite you to read the list of requirements and rules, and send us an email to apply.
This game will be heavily based on character development and interaction with other characters in the game. We aim to establish a game that is different - apart from some already established ones that are very good - and we are looking for players who have the same purpose.
We apologise for the long list of requirements, because the screening test for this RPG is rather stringent. We are interested in obtaining players who can write well and have a strong desire to stay true to their character's personality traits.
Any of the LOTR cast members not listed above and we may consider co-stars from other movies.
LIST OF REQUIREMENTS
1. You must be over 18. No exceptions to the rule.
2. You should preferably have experience in playing in an RPG. Applicants new to roleplaying who can write exceptionally well will also be considered.
3. You should have a character in mind, and be very aware of how you are going to portray him/her. Do research about their family background, their history, their likes and dislikes. Are they human, Elf or a halfie?
4. This game will be played solely on AIM. Characters can post in their journal and receive comments from others (just like real-life journals) but all roleplaying will take place on AIM.
5. Your character should preferably be someone from the LOTR cast. However, other actors or personalities will be considered strictly on a case-by-case basis.
6. You must be able to post frequently, at least once a week.
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
1. Your name and age
2. The character you want to play
3. Your mun LJ and any fics you have written (if any)
4. A brief description of your character and how you intend to portray him/her. Be a bit specific: are they human, Elven or a halfie? What is their occupation? What is their family background like? Why did they come to Bordertown?
5. Examples of pups you have played/are currently playing, and links to their journals.
We are a pretty relaxed, open-minded bunch, but some things are just not allowed in the Bordertown RPG:
1. Absolutely NO MPREG.
2. No rape, murder or strongly violent themes. If you have huge plot ideas that will affect the game (such as female players getting pregnant, suicide attempts, etc) kindly discuss them with the mods first.
3. BDSM themes are okay, but put them behind a cut tag with a warning.
This RPG is heavily based on Terri Windling's Borderland and Bordertown book series. Passages of the description were taken from this review and this review.
|Interests:||26: andy serkis, bernard hill, billy boyd, bordertown, cate blanchett, christopher lee, dominic monaghan, elijah wood, ian mckellen, john noble, john rhys davies, liv tyler, lord of the rings, lotr, marton csokas, miranda otto, orlando bloom, role playing, rpg, rpgs, rps, sean astin, sean bean, slash, sock puppets, viggo mortensen|
|Maintainers:||2: beanbox, rejsende|
|Members:||10: beanbox, dreamingsbloom, lildrummer_boyd, livtyler_, mistandwisp, rejsende, sarahshope, scruffy_dave, the_charlatan|
|Watched by:||9: beanbox, dreamingsbloom, lildrummer_boyd, livtyler_, mistandwisp, rejsende, sarahshope, scruffy_dave, the_charlatan|
|Account Type:||Free Account|