February 11th, 2013
Okay fine, but how will they move the Holy Spirit from his body to his successor? Exorcism, that's how.
October 28th, 2012
Nothing much to tell. I'm doing fine. We have the first snow. I moved into a bigger room in my flat share which has two windows and that's awesome. The current set of roomies is very pleasant. I'm cat-sitting today. I dropped a toast with Nutella on the floor, which made a mess, but D!Cat and P!Cat were sound asleep so I didn't have to fend them off. I don't think they actually like Nutella, but toast and butter are a different matter.
Tomorrow I will see 'Looper'. I hope it doesn't suck.
( 5 pictures of People!Cat. Click on them for bigger pictures. )
September 6th, 2012
Hi everyone, how are you, I'm doing fine!
Let me impress the one or two of you who haven't seen them yet with the newest type of
tumblr gifs, will you? As usual most are badly looped shit but the ones that aren't? Those rock.
ETA: There's also this one, but I am not sure if I'm linking to the maker here.
ETA of ETA: And then there's this.
Also, in less flashy news, look at Prehistoric Warriors from Space by Til Hafenbrak. Sadly it is only a series of 3 collages. I would so love watch a movie born from that.
( Eight pictures of People!cat. That felt like a passport photo session. Click to embiggen. )
August 10th, 2012
July 27th, 2012
May 10th, 2012
I don't like it when I look forward to a movie and then I see it and it's like it's just passing me by without making much of a blib on the radar. Not that the movie was bad or insufficiently entertaining while it lasted, just that it leaves no lasting impression when it should.
I'm looking at you, Hunger Games and Avengers. Especially Avengers. If I had a shelf and I had to somehow sort all super hero movies into it, this one would sit next to Fantastic Four.
And I'm not sure about Legend of Korra. I love Korra and Republic City and all that, but Bolin, Mako and the whole pro-bending stuff, that doesn't click with me, and there's a lot of that.
I'm a bad fan.
( Single picture. I'm trying to see if I can use pictures uploaded on tumblr on here and how that works, with resizing and so on. But it is also a beautiful picture that D. made with my camera! )
April 13th, 2012
I don't usually consider reposting here the things I see on Tumblr, but I feel I should make an exception for Henri.
Henri 2, Paw de Deux
And the prequel that isn't quite as great, but still great.
April 10th, 2012
Is it just me, or is it just me being a German speaker or is it true that "the real Mitt Romney" is a difficult thing to say, especially if you try to say it repeatedly?
At long last, I have a new bicycle! It was cheap and it is old, and I already worry how long the gear changing is going to last, but otherwise it is perfect. This is the first bike that forces me to sit exactly the way I like to sit on a bike, which means upright like a meerkat lookout. And it's amazing really, it's like this bike gives me a 20 % surroundings awareness bonus or something. Plus, it is comfortable. Yeah, I know, I have to work harder this way, but I happily trade that for feeling at home on my bicycle.
My friend W. claims I look like someone from the 1920s with it, and I guess I know what he means, but I hope not.
And it was almost an impulse buy. I was dead set on just repairing the old bike until I drove over a perfect, freshly tarred piece of road and realized that no, the subtle jolt in the hindwheel really really wasn't the road after all. And right after that I saw a poster for the annual bicycle flea market and was like, fine, if you say so.
( My perfect bicycle. Pictures. )
March 8th, 2012
I watched Arrietty and it was wonderful. The end was kind of hanging there but I don't mind.
I agreed to proofread a dissertation for a roomie. That's 300 pages text in about three days and it's been a while since I did anything like that, so she can't expect an excellent job from me. I just hope that all the years of reading and writing mostly English hasn't ruined my sense for German punctuation. Because that's all that I have, I never understood how it actually works, I just have a feeling for what looks right or wrong.
( This might look just like a floor in need of picking up things, but there's actually a cat hidden in these pictures. Quality is lacking in some pictures, but that's balanced by cuteness. )
February 20th, 2012
OMG these are the dinosaurs I grew up with! I have been looking for them so hard but I had no name or book title or anything to go by, just my memory of the pictures. I thought they had to be famous, but I didn't find them.
I never knew I was looking for a mural.*
Creating the Mural - Rudolph Zallinger's masterpiece,"The Age of Reptiles"
*Or a smaller painting draft for a mural. Whatever.
( People!Cat, doorstop cat, treasure box. 5 Pictures )
February 15th, 2012
I watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It was an excellent movie. It was also a rather boring movie and I don't mean that in a more car explosions kind of way. On the plus side, that caused me to enjoy the hell out of the upswing music at the end and that made it all good again.
There was also a number of very amusing scenes, I appreciated that.
I'm still reading 'Alphabet of Thorns' but I'm almost done now. The plot just took a jump onto the elemental plane of convoluted, and I have serious doubt that it can be saved it in the 20 pages remaining. But then McKillip surprised me before. Let's see.
( Also, six pictures: Dignity!Cat in a tiny box, being cute. )
January 29th, 2012
Wow, Journalfen, you're kind of comatose, aren't you?
So...I'm still reading Alphabet of Thorns and slowly, slooowly, I'm getting into it. And I can almost make out things happening at the horizon, that might help a bit. I don't know, I really love most of McKillip's stuff. But I suspect the same thing that causes her German translations to fall short also makes it hard for me to read her in English.
The thing with my new joblet drags on, what with people involved taking turns being on holiday, and the job only being created now. I don't particularly mind the delay though. Especially if it means no snow shoveling for me.
The 17 least appropriate playmobil sets. It's kind of old, so I'm sure there are newer, more inappropiate sets now. I had set #4 - the knife throwing set.
I'm reposting all kinds of old pictures on Tumb1r as I find them, but new ones go to JF and DW.
( Like these four )
January 16th, 2012
I uploaded two cat videos! I figured out how to cut the parts where nothing is happening, so they're a little better than what I used to upload on Youtube.
D!Cat thinks paper streamers are boooring. Unless she can use them as a pretext to surf on her scratching straw pillows. Or whatever these things are called. I wish I knew.
Dignity!Cat and People!Cat playing
It is so rare for them to play together. For years, People!Cat didn't play at all. Now she does sometimes, but you can see she's still very cautious, compared to D!Cat.
What else is new? I finished Pratchett's 'Nations' and as usual it was a pleasant read and funny in places, but not exactly a book that made a lasting impression. I just started 'Alphabet of Thorn' by McKillip, but I have yet to really get into the book. Half of the time I'm too busy clicking around on Tumb1r, half of the time I'm too tired for McKillip prose and end up reading the same line over and over.
Oh, and I watched 'A Game of Shadows'. I think I owe it mostly to Robert Downey Jr that I enjoyed it. The action scene editing was annoying and Stephen Fry's German voice was horrible. He should sue the German film distribution or something.
Also, all that SOPA/PIPA/whatever nonsense seriously gives me a bad conscience for going to the movies at all. I felt stupid paying money knowing it will contribute to attempts to make my life worse.
P.S.: Huh, the JF posting form has changed? It's a bit confusing now. Not an improvement.
January 5th, 2012
Here's a list of all 2011 (German release) movies I watched in cinema, in order of how much I enjoyed them. A 'how good they were' list would look very different. Sherlock Holmes is still missing from the list. All in all, not a lot of great movies. There was at least a handful of movies I wanted to see, but they dropped from the theaters before I could as much as blink. Such as Captain America and Cowboys and Aliens.
• Winter's Bone
• Kung Fu Panda 2
• The Three Musketeers
• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Teil 2
• Johnny English Reborn
• The King's Speech
• Ein Tick anders/Alive and Ticking
• True Grit
• Rise of the Planet of the Apes
• The Adventures of Tintin
• X-Men - First Class
• Black Swan
• Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides
• Margin Call
December 22nd, 2011
• I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Nation now. I'm through the first 1/3 of the book and by now there are 8 people on the island, and possibly 9 soon. So far it's an enjoyable read.
• The Hobbit trailer is lovely! The emphasis seems to be on 'stuff we've also seen in Lotr', but I don't mind. Indeed, I hope they didn't use up all their Lotr shout-outs in this trailer.
• Also look at the lovely Russian Hobbit illustrations here here. I think they overdid it with the hairy feet maybe, but the dragon eyelashes on Smaug are a nice touch.
• More and more, people are looking through Tom Bombadil's jolly facade! I approve.
• I'm watching 'Big Train' on Youtube. The first season was mostly awesome, but I'm not so sure about the second season yet. EDIT: Hey it's Nicola Murray! I like her. But still, the first season of Big Train was better.
• Looks like my best friend from university sells villas in Spain now, how awesome is that?
• I have no new pictures whatsoever, but I'll spend the holidays with the cats, maybe that will solve the problem.
• Looks like I'll start working some time in January. Again, not a real job, more like a gap year, which is a bit misleading a term when the gap is surrounded by other gaps followed by more gaps, I guess. But whatever. It'll be a better deal than what I did the last years, money-wise and if I can convince them to let me listen to podcasts, it'll be awesome.
• Still spending a lot of time on tumblr, not doing much.
December 7th, 2011
I just watched 'Submarine'. ( spoilers, I guess )
November 10th, 2011
I watched Tintin. It was a mixed bag. And fast paced. A fast paced mixed bag. The clear lines of Tintin universe help with 3D that wouldn't work so great otherwise. That was nice. Captain Haddock's medical condition was hilarious when I was eight, I swear.
Whenever they had a close-up of Tintin's face, I was like 'Hey, it's Jodie Foster!'. That was weird.
( Oooh, I almost forgot the pictures! )
October 30th, 2011
• I deleted my LiveJournal temporarily because of the nasty privacy problems caused by their latest releases. But after reading the LJ response, I think not temporarily. Buh bye LJ. A great time has been had and stuff.
• I just can't watch first-person narrated movies. Latest case in point, 'In The Electric Mist'. The narration wasn't the only thing that sucked about the movie, really really not, but it was the deal-breaker.
• I also watched Margin Call. I don't know. The acting was good, at least. But there was so much build-up of drama and tension that never led anywhere. It felt like in the second half giant monsters should stomp through the city but they never did. Anyway, I finally understand the appeal of Zachary Quinto now. I only saw him as Mr. Spock before and then I thought he was okay, but not awesome.
• I'm reading "Let The Right One In" now. I saw the Swedish Movie (twice, but the first time I was so sleepy that I only caught a few scenes and thought it was very weird. The second time it was pretty good but still weird, as it had a few surprisingly violent scenes. Well, not for a Vampire Movie maybe, but for a kids friendship/Adventure movie, which was how it felt like in all other regard). The movie left me curious enough to pick up the book (I rarely order specific books, usually I go for random second hand stuff) and boy, was that one cleaned up and condensed for the movie. If it was fanfiction it would better come with a long list of warnings is all I'm saying. At some point I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep reading. But the unsavory stuff never felt voyeuristic or like the book was reveling in it (some of you maybe remember my rant about how much I despised the Mists Of Avalon some time back? Well, I can sense nothing of that kind of questionable mindset in this book.). So, in spite of everything - even in spite of violence against cats! >:( - I like Let The Right One In very much. Not saying you would enjoy it too, but it's rare for me to go through a book that fast.
• I haven't used my own Tumblr much yet (in part because half of the time I see something awesome there is no reblog button. I saw all the tips about how to locate it, and yet the button obstinately persists in its absence. I'm starting to think I need to go through my adblock logs or something, because hundreds of other people managed to reblog the same things just fine). But I've still grown fond of reading stuff on Tumblr. The Dashboard is like having your friends list and friendsfriends list rolled into one, only you don't get the trash part of your friendsfriends list, because you only see the parts your friends deemed worthy of showing to you. That's neat. And it's like, you get all the perks of a big and active friends list even when you can't muster the commitment that's needed to maintain a big and active friends list. So I guess it's kind of made for me. If only it would be easier to comment on stuff.
• The last days, People!Cat growls and hisses whenever Dignity!Cat comes near her. Of course I understand the sentiment because D!Cat really is an asshole sometimes (being a cat and all that), but she used to be so pissed off only while D!Cat was being mean, and at worst only vaguely distrustful the other times. I don't like this and D!Cat is very confused about being treated like that when she's being nice. She is so easily confused.
( 3 small pictures, cats and ...stuff )
September 15th, 2011
Did stuff like this happen on FW all the time and I didn't notice? I mean, people posting stupid things, sure, that I remember. But all that waffling around?
I have a new journal thingy, it is a Tumblr! Mostly I got it so that I can read Ann's Tumblr stuff more comfortably, but I already started adding other folks to my dashboard - which I gather is something like a reading list there.
Tumblr as a journaling service looks a lot better from afar. It feels like everything is broken and nothing works like they say it would, but I think I can cope. Don't think I will do much with it, but it's very nice to have one.
I watched the 3 Musketeers yesterday, on the last possible occasion, and wow, was that fine! Of course they turned everything upside down, but they went about it almost subtle. Like, they didn't just arbitrarily invent stuff (Porthos the Pirate, anyone?), they rather rearranged some key elements of the story to great effect, like the background story of Mylady and the Musketeers. So much fun.
I don't think I have to worry about spoilers at this point? The best thing was the King's rivalry with Buckingham and his obliviousness about pretty much everything else that went on around him. Buckingham wasn't as glorious as I expected, but Richilieu didn't let me down.
The one thing that totally didn't work was Planchet, kind of the blend of the four servants of the Musketeers here. Fat pleb getting shoved around and insulted, so hilarious. They tried to make up for it by giving him his shiny moment and cushioned the abuse with lots of winking a la "for reals we totally appreciate him, we only pretend to treat him like shit, you know", but that didn't salvage it. Samwise Gamgee he was not. Awkward.
But the whole rest was shiny. I look forward to the sequel. There will be a sequel, right?!
And I finally finished 'Humboldt's Gift', and I want to retract my statement that it is a good book. It is a well written mediocre book and gets increasingly boring towards the end. And my statement about not liking anyone in it still stands. Oh well.
( ...and the cat pictures )
August 7th, 2011
I just watched the first episode of Sherlock. I also had D. videotape the second for me and am about to videotape the third one.
It was fun and entertaining and, on occasion, cute. I found Sherlock a bit annoying in a 'Big Bang Theory' character kind of way, but it was mostly tolerable. Watson was fine. I couldn't feel particularly shippy about the two, even though the episode endeavored to encourage it and Holmes and Watson are kind of an item by default. Too bad. I certainly had no trouble shipping Livanov!Holmes and Solomin!Watson, for example.
Anyway, I can see how this show is kind of a big thing and shows up in icons and stuff.
I also watched 'Heart and Souls' with a very cute Robert Downey Jr today. It was kind of silly and half-baked and a bit crowded, but an excellent tearjerker.
( D!Cat has a box that might be too big for her taste. But it still is a box! )