Gun o' the Pants' Journal|
[Most Recent Entries]
Below are 20 journal entries, after skipping by the 20 most recent ones recorded in
Gun o' the Pants' LiveJournal:
[ << Previous 20 -- Next 20 >> ]
[ << Previous 20 -- Next 20 >> ]
|Sunday, January 20th, 2008|
|help a ho out!
1. Does anyone have any running advice for me? I really want to take it up (I have a 1/4 marathon as my fitness goal for this year) but I find running really hard in light of severe genu valgum*
and low-grade lymphoedema*
that nevertheless makes running extremely painful. (My feet and ankles can swell by more than 2 inches after a two hour walk, making even walking extremely painful and blistery and oh the agony :( :( :( )
So if any of you have lower limb problems, or even if you don't but you just love running, would you have any recommendations for me, aside from compression bandages? (Note to self: must buy. I am such an old lady. :()
2. My hair: I'm thinking like a purply burgundy red, as opposed to the dark brown with bits of grey* poking through now. Would it work on a complexion that can only be described as "corpsely"* and green eyes? Maybe a fringe as well?
*man, I really inherited the ass genes in my family :(
|Sunday, January 6th, 2008|
My boyfriend lost the cat outside tonight. Our indoor cat, who wasn't wearing her collar because I was out getting her a new collar that she could actually fit into, and who now has no visible identification.
I've listed her at the RSPCA, sent facebook messages to my neighbours + a midnight doorknock to any neighbour that was actually awake and active, and I've kept the door open so she can come back in.
I love my boyfriend, I really do, but right about now, I want to drown him in a bucket.
ETA: seven hours after her last sighting, I hear a pitiful sound - I say sound, because she actually cannot make normal cat sounds* - coming from the roof of our termite-infested carport, and there she was, crying because she didn't know how to get down. What a fuckwit.
She's inside and Mr Gun is crying and cuddling her. IT'S 4AM >:( Cuddle me, I was the one who found the wee fucker :(
*amongst other things, yes, my cat has parts of her throat missing, much to the amazement of my vet.
|Saturday, October 20th, 2007|
JKR IS THE GREATEST HUMAN BEING OF ALL TIME AND IF YOU DON'T AGREE IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE A COMMIE FASCIST CAPITALIST PIG!!!!!
|Friday, October 5th, 2007|
Once again, to give back to people something I have stolen from so many. This is possibly the most rewarding recipe I can give you - it literally takes three minutes to put together.
CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE
1 sheet short-crust pastry
2/3 cup corn syrup/glucose syrup (I used glucose, and it seemed to work fine)
200g pecans, chopped in half
180g dark cooking chocolate, chopped up or in buds - you get what you pay for, so buy quality
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 tablespoon cooking cocoa
1. Let the short-crust pastry thaw on the counter-top, according to manufacturer's instructions. Preheat oven to 180 celcius.
2. When crust has thawed, line a pie-dish with it, crimping the edges if you like. Put the bits of chocolate and nut into the dish.
3. Whisk together the syrup, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla essence and cocoa together for about 3 minutes, then pour over the chocolate and nuts. Put in the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
If you make it, let me know how it goes. I'm trying it out on my n00bs today so hopefully they'll like it.
|Wednesday, August 29th, 2007|
So what happened with the meme?
Also, while I'm sneaking a fandom-half hour in, does anyone have that Regina Spektor cover of Real Love? Because a) I love it, even though I'm not into Regina Spektor, and b), I'd like to use it in a uni performance.
|Friday, August 17th, 2007|
So did anyone read msscribe's apology and have it remind you of the most asinine Vicky Pollard sketch?
Msscribe: OMG STOP LOOKIN AT ME EVOLS >:(
Fandom: Did you, or did you not create sockpuppets to harrass the HP fandom?
Msscribe: Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no, but yeah, but no, but yeah, but no, because I couldn't of done it because Cassie Claire was tryin' to rob Heidi of her big gold hoop earrings from Asda and I was all like OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST DID THAT and anyway you'll have to ask them cos I was out the back with my hand down Holly Black's tracky-bottoms.
Msscribe: OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD ACCUSE ME OF SOCKPUPPETTING! I'VE ONLY DONE IT LIKE ONE EVER TIME, LIKE, TWO EVER TIMES, god this is like being back in Borstal. This is rubbish.
This is probably the point were David Walliams' character just says "well, fuck this" and leaves her to her own stupid devices. I presume.
|Wednesday, April 25th, 2007|
Just for the record: if anyone wants to know what societal minority group I would like ethnically cleansed, you could probably start with ONTD posters.
I can't think of a case where eugenics would be more appropriate.
|Friday, April 20th, 2007|
Chicken Casserole a la Gun
I should probably tag all my recipe entries.
Serves 4 if you eat like normal people, 1-2 if you eat like pigs/Mr Gun.
8 chicken drumsticks, stripped of skin and fat
425g can of chopped tomatoes. (If you can, get organic or roma. Mmmmmmmmmm.)
1/2 cup white wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
pinch of sugar
12 kalamata olives, halved
150g shallots, halved
4 cloves of garlic
1 handful of chopped fresh oregano
1 handful of chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
couple of capers
little bit of lemon zest
4 strips of proscuitto
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 180 celcius, or whatever that is in fahrenheit.
2. Get a fuck-off big frypan, pour a bit of oil into it, and then cook the drumsticks for 3-4 minutes on each side. Once cooked, put it in a dutch oven or a casserole pot.
3. Using the same oil, cook your garlic cloves and shallots for about five minutes. They should be soft, but not browned. Add in the white wine (you can add extra if you like - I did and it seems to work fine), and bring to the boil.
4. Add the tomato, tomato paste, herbs, salt and cracked pepper, sugar, vinegar and olives. Bring to the boil for a couple of minutes, then pour over the chicken.
5. Put the covered pot in the oven for about 45 minutes. Smell it while it cooks. asldkjalskdjlskadjlaskdj it's like a big fat cumshot of flavour, srs bsns.
6. In the last five minutes it's in the oven, get your pan and fry up the proscuitto for about three minutes - or until crispy. Break them up and wait for the chicken to finish.
7. Take the chicken out. It should be soft and tender. Take your parsley, zest and capers, and sprinkle over the mix. Then top with the proscuitto.
You can serve it with rice or pasta if you'd like. I made polenta, but instead of frying it in wedges like I normally do, I just took it fluffy off the stove and poured it over that to soak up the juices.
|Thursday, March 8th, 2007|
| Anon concrit meme
, for all ye who write fics, make art, etc.
THROW YOURSELVES INTO THE FRAY, I DO SAY!
|Sunday, March 4th, 2007|
It's that most magical time of the year: Slag on your OTP Day
. Come one, come all, and tell me what you think blows chunks about your favourite HP pairing. No rules, post whatever you'd like. It did so well last time that I thought it would be fun to run again to spread some good will about fandom.
|Thursday, February 22nd, 2007|
Note to self: don't bother respecting anything suzycat
|Saturday, February 3rd, 2007|
| This is all I'm going to say on the matter.
I know some people thought I was lying about not knowing, or that I actually condoned what was said, but I can't give better than my (admittedly untrustworthy) word.
And I never thought I'd actually say this, but hell - the Gun!haters are far less annoying than the Gunpatrol. Cut it the fuck out, whoever is doing it.
|Friday, February 2nd, 2007|
|Thursday, February 1st, 2007|
Give me strength not to delete my LJ in a hissy-fit of moderate-liberal fury; give me the fortitude not to spam my own LJ with pics from rotten.com; give me the mettle to live through this in a house without alcohol.
|Friday, January 26th, 2007|
|Saturday, January 6th, 2007|
|Sunday, December 24th, 2006|
|Monday, November 27th, 2006|
|Tuesday, November 21st, 2006|
I'm trying to think of the word that best encapsulates Michael Richards' tirade. Is it "futility"? Is it "unemployment"?
No, my dear friends. The word is "dignity".
|Tuesday, November 14th, 2006|
If you've ever wanted to read HP/To Kill A Mockingbird crossover slash (and haven't we all, at some point in our lives?), then I've written Atticus/Remus here
To answer the next question: I get to sleep at night quite easily.