|Cons, SYTYCD, Top Chef||[May. 29th, 2008|12:08 pm]|
This has not been a good year for cons, has it? I feel really bad for anyone who’s running one these days. One thing that really hit me about the WisCon situation is that I distinctly remember seeing comments following theferret’s little mess that said something to the effect of, “Well, at least Wiscon is safe...” I have a few more thoughts on this, but I’m going to put them in a separate post. I think.|
Speaking of cons, there is a big HP con here in Dallas this summer. I’m not attending the actual con, but if any of you are going to be in town and want to meet up, I’d love to see you.
I only watched a few minutes of the first hour and I don’t remember where those auditions were. I mostly watched for the Dallas auditions.
- It was very, very cool to see SMU on SYTYCD. I grew up near SMU, both of my parents attended and graduated from SMU (dad - law school, mom - undergrad degree in graphic arts) and I’ve been to about a million events there. I ride the SMU shuttle buses frequently. The Meadows School of the Arts is well known and has a good reputation (at least as far as I know). The charity show I used to be in was in the Greer Garson theater at SMU. I think they were in McFarlin Auditorium. That’s where my ballet recitals were when I was a wee little thing. *g*
- That said, I apologize for all the awfulness that was presented as Dallas. We are not all like that, I promise.
- I am angered and horrified that they let the beauty queen barbie blonde in. We are not all like that, I promise.
- I think I will root for Josh and Ariel as my hometown contestants. See, we are not all like “that.”
- I think Mary was at least partially faking her outrage wrt Mickey-Mouse-hair guy. It made for good on-camera drama, but it was kind of stupid. And he wasn’t nearly as bad as some of the people they’ve had audition. He should not have called her a name, but I felt like the judges were kind of baiting and provoking him. All Nigel needed to say was "no, thanks." The guy didn't start off being disrespectful. But they kept pushing.
- It seems that getting an advantage from the Quickfire tends to backfire pretty badly.
- I really didn’t care whether Lisa or Spike went.
- I don’t know what I think about peanut butter mashed potatoes.
- I want a steak. I really, really, really want a steak. I think that for my free day on Saturday I will go to Central Market and buy a small but seriously expensive steak. Potatoes au gratin sound pretty darned good, too.
- I have been in Puerto Rico this year! It was well after Top Chef was finished filming but it’s still cool (to me, at least) that I’ve been there the same year Top Chef went there. Of course, I never made it out of the airport, but still... And I was really surprised by how big San Juan is.
Seeing an ad for Project Runway last night made me giddy with joy!