| Project Runway, Food Meme
||[Aug. 14th, 2008|01:33 pm]
This week’s challenge was almost identical to the Sarah Jessica Parker challenge from last season. I’m not crazy about team challenges, but I do like that the designers had so few guidelines for this challenge. I think that really lets us see what they can do better than some of the more contrived challenges.
I wasn’t crazy about most of the outfits. This is partly because the color palettes used just don’t suit me, personally. I try to keep that in mind when evaluating the designs, but it does color (pun intended!) my point of view most of the time.
I liked Korto’s, Terri’s and Keith’s designs best and I was fine with Keith winning. I can’t remember the other top design. Jerell’s was okay, but I didn’t like it as much as the judges did. I thought it looked a bit sloppy and I would have put both Korto’s and Terri’s ahead of it.
I thought both of the bottom two outfits belonged in the bottom two. I can’t remember Kelli’s previous designs, but I have no problem with her being cut because of that. Of course, she was the team leader and the team leader always takes the fall, and I think the design was atrocious, so she deserved to, but I also think that Daniel did everything in his power to sabotage her. I dislike him so much as a person now that I don’t care at all about his designs. Since I dislike him so much, I expect him to be a finalist. Bah!
Blayne’s was just silly. I don’t think he’s going to take advice and adapt, so maybe he won’t be with us long.
And now – A Food Meme!
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Make recommendations of specific places/products when possible
The VGT Omnivore's Hundred:
In general – I used to eat raw oysters, organ meats and hot peppers (or foods with hot peppers in them). I no longer do so, because they are bad for me, or I just don’t like them anymore, or in the case of raw oysters because I don’t eat animals while they are still alive. I still try to stay fairly open minded when it comes to food.
I had to look several of these up. In the process I discovered a lot of foods I want to try. Fun!!!
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
10. Baba ghanoush (OMG this sounds delicious! I am going to find or make some this weekend!)
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi (Another thing that sounds delicious and that I’m going to try.) (Desperately need a good recipes for freshly made curry seasoning that’s not really hot!)
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses (Apparently a really stinky French cheese. I’ll look for it at Central Market.)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans (Or Cajun variants thereof.)
</b>25. Brawn, or head cheese</b> (I assume braunschweiger counts here. My mom used to eat that stuff like crazy. I’ve tasted it and ... OMG no! Never again!) 26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters (I used to eat them raw, but I don’t anymore)
30. Bagna cauda (This sounds fabulous! There are some Spanish restaurants nearby, so I’m going to have to try to get some of this.)
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi (Sounds very interesting. I probably prefer the sweet to salty, but I’ll try it.)
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
41. Curried goat (I’ve had barbecued goat. I don’t think curry was involved, but I’m counting it. It was very good, but fatty.)
42. Whole insects 43. Phaal (Probably too hot for me.)
44. Goat's milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu (No, I’m afraid to try this. I don’t want to die from eating a bit of raw fish!)
47. Chicken tikka masala (Sounds yummy - I need a good non-hot curry spice mix recipe).
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear (We call them nopales here)
52. Umeboshi (I’ll try some if I can find it. I do watch my sodium so I can’t eat them on a regular basis.)
54. Paneer (I’ve had queso blanco, which is similar. I’ll look for this and try it.)
55. McDonalds Big Mac Meal (I’ve tried to eat their hamburgers - can’t do it.)
56. Spaetzle (I adore this stuff. So carby and fattening, though!)
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine (I’ve had cheese fries, which is about as bad for you.)
60. Carob chips
62. Sweetbreads (They weren’t bad, but I don’t eat organ meats.)
63. Kaolin (I assume they mean the mushroom, not the clay and I can’t figure out why they’re special.)
64. Currywurst (I think they mean this and it has horse in it, so no thank you.)
65. Durian (I want to try this!!!)
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe (When I look up “Louche” on Wikipedia, I get this article about emulsion effects of certain types of alcoholic beverages, more specifically Ouzo.</a> I’ve had Ouzo, but I don’t think that’s what they mean.)
74. Gjetost, or brunost (Sounds yummy! I’ll look for some.)
76. Baijiu (Heh... Sounds like Chinese Everclear. I wonder where I can get some ...)
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
79. Lapsang souchong
81. Tom yum (OMG another delicious sounding thing. Maybe a little too hot for my taste but otherwise ... I’ll have to find or make some.)
82. Eggs Benedict
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant. (I wish! I’ve had some I think came close.))
85. Kobe beef
87. Goulash (I want my mom’s Goulash now!)
90. Criollo chocolate (I’m fairly certain Valrhona uses Criollo chocolate. I’m willing to suffer through numerous chocolate tastings, though, to be sure.)
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa (I know what harissa is. It’s a little too hot for me. Not sure how roses get involved or if that’s a brand???)
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
I watched a lot of Olympics over the past 3 days but I’m going to have to post about it later.