|Wherein I Get Tipsy, Reminisce, Look Forward to 2009 and||[Dec. 31st, 2008|07:07 pm]|
Wish You All a Happy New Years on Behalf of Myself and D Kitty|
I'm not tipsy yet. D Kitty is attempting to cough up a hairball on my office carpet. Whee!
So, here's a sort of year end "best and worst" wrap up type thing:
Best New Word:: Fabugross. Coined by a poster on TWOP in connection with the "ladies" of The Real Housewives of Orange County.
Best Things about 2008, Generally:
1. Election Night
2. Tina Fey.
3. David Cook winning American Idol.
4. The Olympics.
Best Things about 2008, Personally:
1. Losing over 30 pounds and dropping 4 sizes.
2. My Seacloud voyage.
3. My sister's New York Times bestseller book, The Snowball.
4. Yesterday my trainer had me do lunges and hold balances for 3 seconds on one foot in between each lunge. Six months ago I could not have done that. Six months ago I couldn't even do a lunge or hold a balance, much less do them in combination. For goodness sake, one year ago I couldn't even really walk! But yesterday I did those lunge/balance combos, easily. In fact, I kind of enjoyed them! I can not only walk, I can skip and twirl and even run on the elliptical. And I no longer wake up in the middle of the night, crying in pain.
This is tough, because there was rare wank (A Song of Ice and Fire wank, of all things! ) and large quantities of Twilight wank and Avatar shipping wank and the whole FanHistory mess and the LJ Advisory Board election mess and hilarious Moonlight wank (a personal fav because I loved that cheesey vampire show) and Clay Aiken outing himself and so, so many more but the winner, hands down, was the epic saga:
RDR v. Rowling and WB
I'm not going to link it. There are too many posts and I know people on both sides of the issue and don't want to upset anyone. IMO no matter which side you were on, it was the most noteworthy wank of the year. I used to know SVA (and I will state upfront I think he was very wrong but also very mislead by RDR and I hope that he manages to work through some things and move on to more productive pursuits).
Worst Things about 2008, Generally:
Where do I begin? I'm not going to try to make a numbered list. It's too depressing. Every year end round up in print and on TV reminds us: Spitzer; Blagojevich; The acrimony in the Democratic primaries; "Terrorist!" "Kill him!"; The economy's collapse; the completely boring, unfabugross return of 90210;The Bachelorette; Lame Duck Bush trying to wreck the planet as fast as he can before he's shipped back here (yes, here! Barf!); Rachel Zoe (Okay, she's pretty fabugross, but she's also extremely annoying and glorifies eating disorders, so she's a fabugross loser). I'm leaving a lot out because there was just so much that I can't even really get my mind wrapped around them all. Now we are ending the year with a full out Israeli-Palestinian war and a full out Time Warner - Viacom war. How fitting.
Personal worst for 2008: I can't think of one.
I've had a much better year than the world in general did. I've been insanely blessed, and you all are a big part of that blessing. You've given me great, heaping mounds of encouragement and support and been there for me when I was down (which wasn't often, but did happen a few times).
Personal Goals for 2009:
I don't believe in resolutions. I think they are a way of setting one's self up for failure. However, I do like to make some general goals to work towards, so in 2009 I'd like to:
1. Continue exercising and eating healthy food;
2. Read more;
3. Be more active in general;
4. Start doing some volunteer work.
What I'm most looking forward to in 2009:
My Hopes for 2009:
Good health, happiness, and prosperity for all of us!
Happy New Year's Everyone!