Longing for what is 'right' rather than what is 'easy'
In an effort to have links and quotes handy whenever a Ginny hater claims that nobody ever actually calls her a whore (or other unflattering synonym), I rounded up a few and included some visual aids. All images, quotes, and descriptions link to the source. This is by no means intended to be exhaustive, so feel free to submit any links you have in the comments. Also, at some boards I found some individuals who felt the need to use these monikers repeatedly; I've only quoted one comment from each in those cases.
- QUOTE: I do think that Ginny and Hermione playing the Girlfriend and the Bestfriend, respectively, will be a watered-down version of the Madonna and Whore idea.
I agree on your thoughts regarding Ginny and Hermione
- K: I particuarly loved this from you on the usage of the word slut:
QUOTE: Well Ron had a right to say that about Ginny. It is what a lot of people feel about Ginny. So it is no big shock.
D: Well it was true. If ron can say it why cant I. Banned so rude.
- i can't put into words my hatred for Ginny/Ginny-sue/SLUT! ::angry.gif::
- I swear, if Ginny is Harry's herione, she's about the most dislikeable maggot of a heroine I've ever read. There is virtually nothing good or altruistic about her. You can write heroes and heroines with flaws, because inner conflict is what drives the plot: However, they MUST have GOOD SIDES, and Ginny so far has displayed none. The reader MUST see the good in the girl to feel she belongs with the hero; if she's a skanky 'ho who has surfed several boyfriends in the space of fewer books, if she lies to everyone around her with impunity, doesn't help others, never apologizes, snipes and gossips and lays on the criticism of everyone around her... she's not a heroine, she's an antagonist who is barring the hero's progress towards enlightenment and fulfillment.
- (But who needs character-development when you can get Ginny Slut landing Harry?) And that brings me to another thing: Before HBP, I argued that Ginny was NOT a slut since she had only dated two guys, besides Neville who she didn't really date. Now that we know that she still had the hots for Harry and dated those guys to gain the attention of Harry? I mean, what the hell does JK believe we'll view her as from now on?
- Ginny Sue, Ginny Sue.
Slutty, slutty, slutty, slutty Ginny Sue.
Oh, Ginny, that Ginny Sue.
Well, I hate you girl.
Yes, I hate you, Ginny Sue.
- Bimbo-BiatchGinny... going through boys like water
- People keep telling me that Ginny!***** isn't a *****, but tell me: If Ginny!Barbie goes out with 2 guys (Dean & Michael, if you count Neville it's 3), then dumping them on a whim to suit her fancy, all the while pretending to give up on the famous guy she's been obsessing over like a FANGIRL since she was ten, but she's really just doing this to get the attention of said famous dude (whom she still obsesses over like a FANGIRL), then what else does that make Ginny!Sue other than a 1st class ***** for using 2 to 3 guys to get the attention of a famous guy, who incidentally has never noticed/cared about her before now?
ETA: Made the first of what I fear may be several updates.
ETA2: Have said all
I have to say
, for now & of substance anyway, to estrella
(not counting any rebuttals). Thank you for not debating her yourselves while I did my bit. Feel free to engage on your own now, if you wish.
ETA3: I have added the PORTKEY section and the last bullet to the HMSHF list. Since I have been accused of only caring about Ginny being called a slut, I have submitted a new sampling
of quotes/links. Since I have been accused of just trying to make Harmonians look bad, I thought I'd point out a couple of admirable actions on the part of H/Hr shippers in regards to these quotes. Here
is a comment discussing a Portkey link I contemplated putting in this section; I am quite pleased that modly action was taken in that instance. I was also happy to see this remark:I am ill-at-ease with the "Ginny=slut so lets kill her" line of thinking as it is derogatory to women even if it is directed at a character I cannot stomach and the product of pure venting.