1. When the Federal Opposition wants the Government to do something, it should consider radical tactics. Coalition frontbencher Joe Hockey knows how to play the game:
"I tell you what, I will make this promise - and it's not a pretty promise - [I] will walk naked through Martin Place in Sydney the day this government builds a second airport outside the Sydney basin."
The primary site within the Syndey basin is at a place called Badgerys Creek, and has been the subject of furious protests by local residents. This is the site that has been considered for the last ten years, as Kingsford-Smith airport gradually approaches overcapacity. The alternative involves a dedicated rail or road link with significant travel times involved, which many believe is unwise (Badgerys isn't exactly close to the Sydney business district to begin with). Mr Hockey is gambling here; the Government's eagerness to transform him into a horseless Lady Godiva may be tempered by the horror of what lies beneath the clothes. Watch this space. Or not, as you prefer.
2. Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has strongly denied his country was involved in the Mumbai attacks, saying the gunmen were "stateless actors" seeking to hold the world hostage. The Indian Government begs to differ.
3. Colossal squid stops traffic in Wellington OMFG THE STARS ARE RIGHT. IA IA CTHULHU F'TAGN...
4. So, which race or nation really has the biggest dicks? Someone did a study, and if he doesn't win an IgNobel for this, the world is an unfair place. The results show Frenchmen on average claim to need 15.48cm-long condoms, about 3cm longer than Greeks, whose condom-size requirement was the most modest. The institute's director Jan Vinzenz Krause says the data was collected over a period of eight months.
He did not want to comment on how honest he thought the Frenchmen had been in reporting the data.
5. Speaking of genitals, Britons are fighting recession blues with theirs. As Britons tighten their belts to cope with the credit crunch, a new poll showed their favourite leisure activity is whipping off their pants for a quick roll in the hay. According to the YouGov survey conducted over the Internet, 37 per cent of Britons rank having sex at the top of their list of freetime activities. So, they may be tightening their belts against recession, but they're loosening them against boredom.
6. Good on you, guys: Mumbai's top Muslim clerics have vowed to block the burial of nine Islamist militants who killed 183 people in a three-day rampage last week, saying their acts were an affront to Islam.
"Such demons - they will not find an inch of land in any Muslim cemetery," said Maulana Sayed Moinuddin Ahsraf, secretary of the All-India Sunni Jamiat-ulema. Say it loud and say it strong. Ahsraf has characterized these creatures well.